Vanilla Ogura Sponge Cake by Sau Man
Part A: 85g cake flour 15g custard powder 1/4 teaspoon salt
55g canola oil 70g milk 5 egg yolks 1 whole egg 30g icing sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Part B: 5 egg whites 70g caster sugar 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Get a tin and line the bottom.
2. Part A… Sift cake flour, custard powder and salt 3 times and set aside. Mix oil, milk, egg yolks, whole egg, vanilla and sugar, and whisk well to combine. Sift the flour mixture, in about 3 to 4 batches, into the egg mixture and lightly whisk in well after each batch. Set aside.
3. Part B… With an electric beater, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks formed. Gradually add in caster sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat until stiff peaks formed.
4. Fold 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the flour mixture first, then repeat two more times with the remaining beaten egg whites.
5. Pour batter into the prepared cake tin. Tap the tin once on the bench top to get rid of any large air bubbles and place the cake tin inside the larger tin with hot water in the oven. Bake this in a steamed -bath for about 1 hour. (This means put a pan of hot water at the lowest level. Put your cake tin the next level above. Depending on your oven you need to keep an eye on it)
6. Remove cake tin from the oven, give it another tap on the bench top then leave it for 5 minutes to cool down slightly. Carefully turn out onto a tray (or rack) lined with tea towel, discard lining paper then flip cake over to a cooling rack so it is right-side up and let cool completely.
7. Let the cake cool completely before slicing the cake horizontally into two halves
**This is cake is so light, cottony and the taste is wonderful.